2.21.2011

Made by Mabelette Monday- Ruthie's Banana Bread

My mother has a sister that has always been a big part of our lives growing up. Ruth never married or had any children so she has always been sort of a second mom to me. We have always been very close.


There is nothing in the world that Ruth loves more than Banana Bread. Most specifically she loves my grandmother's recipe of banana bread. When I went off to college I still came home a lot of weekends. As a special treat I almost always made Ruth a loaf or two of banana bread. One such time I must have used eggs to small or added to much flour or not enough banana but Ruth made the comment that the bread seemed a little dry that time. I gave her a hard time about it and told her she was cut off. Although I meant it as a joke life got a little busy and hectic and it was long time before I made her banana bread again and I haven't ever really gotten back into making it regularly ever since. Ruth blames it all on her grave mistake of telling me that it was dry. It is now the running joke in our family that you keep your criticisms to yourself or you might get cut off :)


Banana Bread


3 ripe bananas mashed
2 eggs
1 3/4 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C plus 1 TBSP buttermilk
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt


Mix as for a cake. Pour in a greased loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes (or until knife comes out clean) at 350 degrees.

No comments: