10.17.2011

Made by Mabelette- Filled Cookies

There is something about fall that fills my heart with memories of my grandmother. As I have mentioned before there is nothing that makes me feel closer to her than cooking some of her recipes. One of her most popular amongst my family was her filled cookies. It is an old family recipe that she remembered her grandmother making. If you love raisens then this cookie is for you! Reading her writing can sometimes be the trickest part of making her recipes but here goes:

Filled Cookies:

1 c sugar
1/2 oleo
1 egg
1/2 c sweet milk (sweetend condensed milk)
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 c flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp soda

Filling:

1 c cooked raisens
1 c raisen juice
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp flour

*cook filling until thick and allow to cool (tip- mix the flour into a small amount of juice to disolve so it will not be lumpy before adding to raisens)

Cream sugar & oleo. Add egg and mix well. Sift dry ingredients & add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Chill. Roll dough out between wax paper and cut in circles. Place 1 tsp of filling on each cookie & cover with another cookie. Slit the top cookie. Bake at 350 for 12 min.


I used a pumpkin cutter this time.
This is what the raisen mixture should look like. You want it to be cool so that it will not run when you put it on the cookie.

I use my cookie scoop to add the filling. You want enough but not too much..make sense?




When you add the second cookie you want to press around the outside to seal the two cookies together so that your filling will not run.


When you bake the cookies be sure to watch so that they don't get to brown.

Enjoy! Let me know if you make them what you think.


No comments: