3.19.2010

Lent

It is the season of Lent. There are two weeks left until Easter and I can't wait. As a Catholic one of the traditions of Lent is to give something up. The daily challenge of giving something up is to help us remember what Christ did for us. This year I gave up pop. Usually I try and come up with something creative to challenge myself. It usually ends up that I forget what I came up with and it loses it's affect. This year I was so tired and out of sorts (just having a baby and living out of a suitcase) so I went with an old standby...soda.

You would think that this wouldn't be that hard. However, I am one of "those" people that has a diet pop (at least one) EVERYDAY. So everyday when I decide what to drink with lunch or in the afternoon when I need a pick me up I remember. I remember that I'm not drinking a pop because I want to remember this Lenten season..what it means. It has been hard. Going out to eat or through the drive through all the time I think about drinking a pop. I consciously have to choose something else to drink and when I do I remember why.

I think for the first time in a really long time I am remembering the purpose of giving something up. Maybe next year I will do something really crazy like give up chocolate or worse caffeine all together.

1 comment:

Mrs. Dawkter said...

I'm the same way with my pop/soda - I'm so impressed!

And thanks for the advice, I do need to start a list, I am a huge list person and for some reason I haven't started one yet. But I am going to start one right now because I definitely feel like there are too many things to remember!