3.23.2010

Appreciation

If there is one thing that growing up in KS has given me it is an appreciation for good weather. It seems like a beatiful day was so rare and far between that when we did have a nice day it was such a treat.

Here in PA we are blessed with lots of great weather. This past weekend was gorgeous and we took full advantage.

It seems like on my blog I do a lot of complaining about living in an 800 square foot two bedroom apartment but there really are a lot of things that I love about it too. All weekend the kids spent the day out in the huge backyard playing with the other kids. Neighbors were hanging clothes out on the line to dry in the sun and all of us would randomly stand outside visiting. I don't just live in a apartment I live in a community. We all know each other and get along. We have potluck on the spur of the moment on the picnic tables in the backyard and are always available to borrow a cup of whatever happens to be needed. If one neighbor doesn't have what you need to borrow chances are the other 27 neighbors probably will.

I was missing my grandmother the other day and wanted to make something that reminded me of her. I happened to have some leftover buttermilk (from the Irish soda bread) that I needed to use so I decided to make her infamous buttermilk brownies. Now this recipe is not for the light of heart. Only the true chocolate lovers should try this recipe.

Bring to a boil:

1 stick butter
1c water
1/2c oil
1/2c cocoa

In seperate large bowel mix together:

2c flour
2c sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Pour the boiled mixture over the dry. Add:

1/2c buttermilk
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla

Stir all until well mixed. Spray a large jelly pan (I used a cookie sheet) and pour in mixture spreading to edges. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees until toothpick comes out clean. While brownies are baking make the frosting.

Bring to a boil:

1lb powdered sugar
1 stick of butter
1/4c cocoa
1/3c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Pour boiled frosting over brownies immediately after taking them out of the oven (while still very hot). Spread to cover and let cool.

No comments: