9.30.2009

Sleeping Mom to the Rescue

When you first become a mom one of the hardest parts is the constant waking up in the middle of the night. Most people are used to sleeping through the night with little to no disturbances so this waking up every two to four hours is really really hard to get used to.

As your children get older you may not be woken up every night but you still get that middle of the night crying or now that my kids are walking they come into your room and wake you up. You never know when it is going to happen and you never know what it's going to be for. It could be a bad dream, a spider in their bed, an upset tummy, they threw up, they want to get into your bed, they want a drink of water, the list is endless.

It's not easy to be woken up and be ready to handle what ever is thrown at you. As I have told you before waking Bret up is like raising the dead so my kids from a very early age have learned to not even bother.

So in the wee hours of this morning there I was sleeping soundly in my new bed. The door opened and I heard the typical "mom?". It's a very distinct mom call that Emily makes when she knows she is waking me up. Immediately I am alert (OK so I'm kind of awake and praying that she didn't throw up cause that is the worst). She comes to my side of the bed and I vaguely remember her telling me that her blanket is stuck on her earring. I'm pretty sure it took her at least telling me twice what the problem was and even then I'm not sure it registered with my sleepy brain what I was supposed to do. Without even opening my eyes I figured out what she said untangled the blanket from her earring and told her goodnight.

She very gratefully went back to her bed and quickly fell back to sleep. Another night's sleep rescued by mom. I like to include this responsibility with other duties assigned that no one bothers to tell you about when first become a mom.

2 comments:

Randi said...

the loss of sleep, or quality sleep, was the HARDEST aspect of parenting for me. I'm not the nicest person in the middle of the night so when they learn to sleep through the night, it's one of the bigger milestones for me - right up there with walking :). The 2 AM wake up calls now are easier to deal with than the screaming infant for me.

Any second thoughts on not finding out the gender???

Adriana said...

No except we are not even close to coming up with one name let alone one for a girl and a boy. I have no idea what we are going to do. How about you?