5.27.2009

The day you say I DO

The whole reason we are venturing back to the flat state (aka KS) besides to see family and friends is to celebrate Bret's sister's wedding. We are so happy for Kyla and Lucas and are thrilled to be a part of their special day.

It's hard for me to believe that just a week after they get married Bret and I will have been married for 6 years. Without a doubt my wedding day was one of the happiest days of my life. So in true SIL fashion, here are my tips for making sure that you have the best wedding day ever.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff. Everyone tells you that something will inevitably go wrong on your wedding day. You have a choice to make...let it go or let it bother you. On the morning of the wedding day we found out that a couple of the bridesmaid dresses didn't fit...at all. We had them made and the lady making them decided to let them out just a little...a little too much. I remember asking my BF Tracey what was wrong with the dresses (since everyone stopped talking and the room got very still when I came into the room). In true Tracey fashion (aka with nothing on underneath) she let go of the top of her dress and it dropped to the floor (strapless of course). So we sewed the dresses to the top of their bras (those that were wearing them) and made a makeshift corset in the back. Luckily I have very talented aunts who could sew like the devil and we had wraps to cover it up anyways. Problem solved. When I found this out I could have made a big deal out of it and gotten really upset. Instead I didn't care...I have family and friends that can worry about this. Let your family and friends worry about everything. The most you should worry about is not getting any lipstick on your dress (at least until after pictures). Everything will work itself out and you don't want to look back on how much time you spent stressing over something that didn't really matter anyways.

2. Make it your day. My sister wasn't crazy about the way her hair ended up and she didn't like the pictures/poses that the photographer was taking. One bride didn't like her make up. She didn't normally wear a lot of makeup but her mom insisted for the pictures to have a lot put on. If you don't feel pretty or you don't like something...politely speak your mind. This is YOUR day and all that matters is if you like it. Trust me people have seen bridezillas and on your worst day you are not this. You want to look back and feel beautiful and you are the one that is going to have to live with this day forever. If something is not right...tell me as I have no problems being the bitch :)

3. Remember to take a minute for you and Lucas. The day will be a blur. You will be hugged a million times, dance your butt off, and have a million people wanting your attention at once. Remember that even if it is just a moment to take the time to privately relish in your celebration with your husband. Sometimes that day felt so busy that Bret and I had barely a second for each other. We had one moment that I will never forget where we took just a second longer before going in to cut the cake after taking pictures outside where we just talked for a second. He told me how pretty I looked, we laughed about something that happened, and we took just a second to privately celebrate that we were married and so blessed.

That's it! I don't have to tell you to have a good time cause I know you will. Marriage is one of God's greatest blessings and we are so glad that you and Lucas found each other. It will be here before you know it and then you are going to be looking back two (or more lol) kids later and wondering where the time went. We love you!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, it's been almost 6 years for us too...and we still say we wish we had eloped! All the nonsense just was NOT worth it!