1.12.2009

Book Sharing Monday

I read a post at Gaining Wisdom about book sharing Mondays. I love books and I love the idea of posting about some of my all time favorite books. While I read all of the popular books that everyone knows about (Twilight, Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, Harry Potter, etc) there are a few that are less heard of that I think are a great find. So for today I am posting about my favorite love story of all time. This is a book that broke my heart and made me realize that you can find and marry your soul mate. The book is called My Sergei: A Love Story by Ekaterina Gordeeva.
Ekaterina and Sergei were pared as ice skating partners at the tender ages of 11 and 14 for the Soviet Union. The book is about their life together and how over time they fell in a deep and passionate love for each other. Sergei died in 1995 suddenly of a heart attack..he was only 28 (my age). While most of the book is deeply moving and heart wrenching there is a chapter that talks about the first time she skated by herself after he died. Her fear of being alone was beautifully displayed in a form of art in her skating piece dedicated to him. I read this book in high school but have since read it again and I still think it is one of the greatest love stories ever and it is true which to me makes it all the better.

No comments: