11.05.2008

Because you asked...and if you didn't you wanted to!

I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten a funny look or even that awkward pause when I tell people that my husband is an OB/GYN. I have been asked a number of times if it is weird to have a husband that works with all women everyday. Even if you haven't asked before I am sure that you wondered b/c I wondered long before I ever imagined that I would marry one. So here it is...my very honest answer to how it feels to have a husband as an OB/GYN.

When Bret first told me that he wanted to be an Ob/Gyn I was shocked but only for a minute. The longer I thought about it the more I realized that it really was a good fit and made sense. Even Bret's mom said that she could see him as an OB/GYN. I have never met a woman that didn't just love their OB. OB's are usually kind, gentle, compassionate, patient, and in most cases the primary caretaker for women. Bret has a personality that gets along with everyone. So while I understood the draw and how much of a good fit it was it was still a little weird.

I have to preface this first saying that Bret is a professional and I have no doubt that he is completely appropriate at all times. It is just that my serious lack of self confidence creeps up sometimes and makes me wonder if I am some how not up to par. I solace myself by knowing that for every one nice set of ta-tas or vjay-jay he sees 20 not so great (if not bad) sets. Let's face it ladies...other than once a year visit we only see this doctor when things are not good or we are pregnant.

On the other hand the good part is that I have my very own doctor to answer any and every question or what if scenario that I could possibly ever come up with. I also sometimes feel much more informed just from all of the situations or cases that I hear about. The most important good part is that Ob's know the inside of a woman's body better than most women themselves....which leads to the best antidote to any wife's self-conscious issue.

2 comments:

Christensen8 said...

Good post...I heard this issue while you were in KS. Bret is who you say he is, he is a great fit for his job.

Adriana said...

Actually you were there during the storm of "what do you mean you want to be an Ob and not primary care...do know how much this is going to cost us?!?!" Dang KMS sneaky grant that turns into a loan.