12.10.2010

Big Hearts & Big Pockets

Last night Emily was telling her dad about the giving tree at school. This tree is set up for the kids to bring in toys, food, clothes, etc that will be given to local shelters and adopted families for the holidays.

She was telling her dad all of the things she has taken since the tree has been put up. Regularly Emily will show me something (a can of soup or vegetables, an extra bottle of soap out of our cabinet, her coat from last year, a few gently used toys, one of Logan's receiving blankets, etc, etc, etc) and ask if she can take it to the giving tree. She is very concerned that other people are cold, hungry, and don't have as much as she does.

Later that night Bret and I were talking about it and he told me "it's a good thing I'm going to make enough of money and I really hope Emily makes plenty of money someday". Not sure where he was going I kind of gave him a look. "We are going to need it to keep up with her heart."

Emily has a huge heart. It inspires us, her parents to give more and to be more thankful for what we have and for the many blessings in our lives.

Sometimes I worry that Bret and I have not focused enough on the real reason for Christmas. I have been working harder on that this year. We have been reading more Nativity books and talking about Jesus and his birth more. Emily has the giving part down.

Palmer went shopping at his school's Christmas store and bought something for each of his immediate family members. I gave him the money for it and he was so excited. Everything came home wrapped and I thought it was going to be really hard for him to keep it a secret but his lips are sealed. Emily was sad that her school didn't really offer something similar so we are going to take her out this weekend. Tis the season. We leave for KS a week from this Sunday!

No comments: