8.20.2018

2018 Back to School- Logan

School for Logan has never been easy.  When I say that I am not talking about academics.  He is actually a really smart kid.  He is working on the 5th Harry Potter book (over 400 pages) and learns math and science with ease.  No what I am talking about is classroom behavior and attitude.

This is the first time since he started kindergarten that I have not received a phone call home from the principal's office the first week of school.  Granted the first full week is just beginning but "knock on wood" so far things have been off to a great start.

I think part of it he is growing up and becoming more mature.  His temper, stubbornness, and awkward behaviors are starting to fade some.  A bigger part has to do with his teachers.  Last year was by far the worst school year I have had with any of my four kids ever.  I got phone calls, emails, and letters with follow up meetings that left me feeling like complete shit about my kid and my ability to parent.  His 2nd grade teacher was a first year teacher and very young/not married/no children and I felt like just didn't know what to do so instead she told me how awful my kid was.  Needless to say Logan wasn't the only one who spent significant time in the principal's office although for different reasons.  It was the first time that I felt like I needed to really be an advocate for my kid.  When the teacher told me she has tried everything it was shocking to learn that really she hadn't tried alternative seating to keep him at his desk or anything other than what she had started the year out with as her own expectations.  Crazy to think that with four different discipline/reward systems going on at various times (sometimes all at the same time) a kid had a hard time understanding or caring about expectations and consequences.

Someone asked Logan a few weeks ago if he was ready to go back to school.  As expected his answer was no and that he hated school.  It was so sad to hear because he loves reading and learning yet how much he dislikes school.  After the person walked off Logan turned to me and said "you know mom, I haven't been in trouble at home at all this summer."  It broke my heart because he was right.  He may have gotten in trouble for not doing something asked and lost his ipad for the day but overall he was never in major trouble.  During the school year however he was constantly in trouble at home because of trouble at school.

Logan wasn't the only kid that got into trouble in that class but he was probably the most.  Teaching is never easy and I know Logan can make it feel impossible.  I spent a lot of time reading everything I could get my hands on when it came to classroom behavior.  Moving your clip, flipping cards, and other color behavior charts have repeatedly been shown to do more harm than good.  Boys especially seem to struggle the most and fail to meet the expectation of sitting still and quietly all day and having recess taken away as a consequence when they fail to do so.

So we are starting 2018 with great hope that it will be a better year.  That Logan can find his groove, that his teachers (who are awesome by the way) have a great school year, that he makes friends, he keeps Jesus at the center, and it is the best year ever.




No comments: