10.09.2009

Pass or Fail

So I finally did it. I went to the lab last night after work and got my glucose test done. Although I will be the first to admit that I have been putting it off as long as possible it's also not the easiest thing to fit into my schedule. I didn't want to take off work and I take and pick up the kids from daycare everyday. That meant either going really early in the morning before Bret left for work or going right after I drop the kids at home assuming Bret is running on time.

So all excuses aside I had to have the test done before 28 weeks and my next doctor's appointment that is coming up. For those of you lucky enough to not have ever experienced this test it's actually pretty simple. You go to the lab they give you the most sugary drink that is like orange pop with and extra two cups of sugar to drink. Once finishing it you go back out to the waiting room for an hour and then come back in to have two vials of blood drawn. Pretty simple..huh?

This test is really not that bad. So why am I avoiding it you ask. It's because this is the third time I have taken this test and the first two times I failed it. This is the first test to determine if you have gestational diabetes. If you fail the one hour test then you get to take a three hour test and this test is no fun at all.

You have to take this test fasting and during the three hours you are not allowed to eat or drink anything. Every hour (or maybe half hour?) you get to pee in a cup (if you can) and have your blood drawn. Besides the fun of waiting for three hours I usually always get light headed and nauseous too. Top that with the fear that I really don't want to have gestational diabetes. So here I am crossing my fingers that I passed but I won't be holding my breath about it either.

3 comments:

ScotchTapedPrincess said...

Hope your test turned out ok. I know when I had my last physical, I was super-worried that I was going to have diabetes, at least be pre-diabetic, but my blood sugars turned out "perfect." My fingers are crossed for you! Can't wait for that baby to come and see some pics!!!

Brittney said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!! That doesn't sound like fun. I'll be praying for you, that you don't have gestational diabetes.

Also wanted to let you know that I have an award waiting for you on my blog:)

Anonymous said...

I'll pray your results come back good!



PS Thank you for stopping by on my special day!